Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cash for Clunkers (which I don't have)

The "Cash for Clunkers" program inflames me like few things do. I hold it up as a paragon of poor government planning (but I repeat myself), social engineering, and bureaucratic indifference all rolled up into one tidy little package.

At first blush, cash for clunkers might seem like generous largesse. To anyone with an ounce of common sense, that idea simply doesn't pass the smell test. Government can only get money one way: by shaking down the people. For those people that choose to take part in the program, they are paying the very tax dollars that make it possible to exist.

But what about those people with no cars to trade? I'm one of those people, and therefore I am out of luck. Just this fact is enough to make the C4C program suspect to me.

There is also the matter of how long the program's budget lasted. One billion dollars of taxpayer money was originally slated to last from the last week of July through the end of October. Well ladies and gentlemen, if you've been living in a cave, I'm here to tell you: Most of that budget was blown through inside of four days. The House of Representatives has voted to authorize another two billion dollars, which at that rate will keep the program going for roughly another week. Can you imagine how many billions of dollars it would take to keep the program going through November?

And to top it all off, the government is further insulting me by mandating that those clunkers collected by the program be summarily destroyed! Hundreds of thousands of cars might be taken out of circulation that I could afford if I chose to purchase one, and I along with many others who are less-than-wealthy, are once again massively cheated in this massive FUBAR Charlie-Foxtrot.

The brilliant Doctor Zero said it far better than I ever could, so go read the good doctor's Green Room post at Hotair.com. Isn't it great that we have adults in charge now?

No comments:

Post a Comment