Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Yay. (yawn)

Via USA Today:

John McCain wrote an essay today declaring his opposition to the nomination of Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court.  If I believed this would have any bearing on the outcome of her confirmation hearings, I would be overjoyed.  As things stand, I am more inclined to view this as yet another example of the crass political opportunism that has littered the landscape of John McCain's political career.

"Captain" Ed Morrissey, writing on the subject for HotAir.com, states:

I don’t believe in judicial filibusters except in circumstances of incompetence or corruption.  Barring those conditions, Presidents have the privilege of appointing jurists to the federal courts as a consequence of their election.

Under normal circumstances, I would be inclined to agree.  These circumstances are unfortunately anything but normal.  The fact that Kagan wouldn't admit to writing a memo that she conceded was in her own handwriting speaks directly to questions of competence.  I think you could make a pretty good case that the content of the memo itself speaks to enormous corruption and an absolutely terrible judicial philosophy.

Does this mean that Republicans will do everything in their power to block Elena Kagan's nomination?  I doubt it.  I couldn't help but roll my eyes when I finished reading McCain's essay.  Several fellow conservatives have already asked me, "What else did you expect him to do?"  I reminded them that this McCain is up for reelection, and that's really why I rolled my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment